permaculture - [permaculture] More words of wisdom and enlightenment from famous people.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] More words of wisdom and enlightenment from famous people.
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 07:18:31 -0500

"Only a life lived for others is worth living" ~ Einstein

"At first, dreams seem impossible, then improbable, and eventually
inevitable" ~ Christopher Reeve

"In the attitude of silence what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into
crystal clearness" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"Everything can be taken away from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way" ~ Viktor Frankl

"The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes of mind" ~ William James

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is
woven into the lives of others" ~ Pericles

"Whatever you think you are, that's not what you are" ~ Ajahn Sumedho

“What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world
remains and is immortal” ~ Albert Pine

"You must have long-range goals to keep from being frustrated by short-range
failure" ~ Charles Nobel

"You should think about your own death 3 times per day at the very least" ~
Ajahn Chah

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" ~ Schopenhauer

"The greatest homage to truth is to use it" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them" ~ Einstein

"Genius is the ability to act rightly without precedent - the power to do the
right thing the first time" ~ Elbert Hubbard

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" ~
Philip K. Dick

“Joy can be real only if people look upon their life as a service, and have a definite object in life outside themselves and their personal happiness” ~ Leo Tolstoy

"I am not in this world to live up to other people's expectations, nor do I feel that the world must live up to mine" ~ Fritz Perls

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards" ~
Soren Kierkegaard

"The greater the struggle the greater the achievement"

"To fear death is to misunderstand life"

"The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can
change" ~ Carl Rogers

"He who looks outside, dreams; he who looks within, awakens" ~ Carl Jung

"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat" ~ Lilly Tomlin

"Just when I figured out the meaning of life, they changed it" ~ George Carlin

"I used to think the brain was the most fascinating part of the body. Then I thought, 'Look what's telling me that.'" ~ Emo Philips

"When you reflect that it's the human mind that has invented space, time, and matter, picking them out of reality in a quite arbitrary fashion--can you attempt to explain a thing in terms of something it has invented itself?" ~ Aldous Huxley

"The highest mountain of all to overcome is one's own preconceptions" - du
Gabriel

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science" ~ Einstein

"Man does not see the real world. The real world is hidden from him by the wall of
imagination" ~ George Gurdjieff

"An independant reality in the ordinary physical sense can neither be ascribed to the phenomenon nor to the agencies of observation" ~ Niels Bohr

"Everyone takes the limits of his own vision for the limits of the world" ~
Schopenhauer

"Vegetarianism serves as the criterion by which we know that the pursuit of moral perfection on the part of humanity is genuine and sincere" ~ Leo Tolstoy

"I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals" ~ Henry David Thoreau

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of
knowledge"

"One definition of insanity is to keep doing what you did before, and expect
different results"

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" ~ Socrates

"Example is the school of mankind, and they will learn at no other" ~ Edmund
Burke

"A fool sees an enemy. A wise man sees a lesson to be learned"

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"It is impossible for anyone to learn that which he thinks he already knows"
~ Plutarch

"A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are the portals of discovery"
~ James Joyce

"To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight . . . and never stop fighting" ~ E. E. Cummings

"Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing"

"Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will
never grow"

"I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is the victory over self" ~ Aristotle

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" ~ Calvin Coolidge

"Keep away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh, and the greatness which does not bow before children" ~ Kahlil Gibran

"The highest religion is the extinction of evil desires" ~ Siddhartha Gautama

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary
act" ~ George Orwell

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use" ~ Soren Kierkegaard "It is preoccupation with possession, more than anything else, that prevents men from living freely and nobly" ~ Bertrand Russell

"When we look at a rock what we are seeing is not the rock, but the effect of the
rock upon us" ~ Bertrand Russell

"There is no enlightenment outside of daily life" ~ Thich Nhat Hanh.

"Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be attained only by
someone who is detached" ~ Simone Weil

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" ~ Babe Ruth

"We think we do so much for the poor, but it is they who make us rich" ~
Mother Teresa

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of
ourselves" ~ Carl Jung

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy,
practice compassion" - H.H. XIV Dalai Lama

"We are so much the victims of abstraction that with the Earth in flames we can barely rouse ourselves to wander across the room and look at the thermostat" ~ Terrance McKenna

"All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume" ~ Noam Chomsky

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable
will" ~ Mahatma Gandhi

"Logic is an organized way of going wrong with confidence" ~ Robert Heinlein

"Buddhism has the characteristics of what would be expected in a cosmic religion for the future: it transcends a personal God, avoids dogmas and theology; it covers both the natural & spiritual, and it is based on a religious sense aspiring from the experience of all things as a meaningful unity" - Albert Einstein

  • [permaculture] More words of wisdom and enlightenment from famous people., Lawrence F. London, Jr., 01/25/2008