permaculture - Re: [permaculture] public domain...patentable???

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] public domain...patentable???
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:32:08 -0600

It's my understanding that actually, no, you cannot patent heirloom seeds. This is why GMOs are being pursued so heavily by Monsanto, et al, as once they have been "modified" they are covered under intellectual property right law.

I may be wrong on this, but these issues came up here in Belize regarding a criollo cacao found at a Maya site. University of Cleveland briefly pursued trying to get a patent for it, since, ostensibly, the "discovered" it. However, subsequent review of the relevant law revealed that they could not... unless they genetically modified it. Luckily, they lost interest.