permaculture - [permaculture] train-the-trainers: Food For All, For Now & Forever: A Crash Course in Post-Crash Food Production

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] train-the-trainers: Food For All, For Now & Forever: A Crash Course in Post-Crash Food Production
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 01:13:13 -0500

Peak Oil Prep: Prepare for Peak Oil, Climate Change and Economic Collapse <http://astore.amazon.com/booksptp-20/detail/0965900045/105-6154186-7665265>

"A summary of the many ideas floating around, with the theme of individuals preparing themselves for peak oil and similar events. Author Mick Winter takes a reasonable, moderate tone in presenting the information and references. The book would be most useful for newcomers to the field and might make a good textbook for a short course."
The list below (don't know if the table will transmit) is part of the list of contents of this book (with additions) which could be the start of the curriculum generation process:

*Essentials*

Air
Health
Water
Shelter
Food
Clothing

* Community*

Education
Localize
Media
Meeting Together
Neighborhood
Suburbia

* Food*

Community Gardens
Compost
Cooking
Food Storage
Gardening
Local Food
Specialty Foods
Sprouting

* Utilities*

Cooling
Lighting
Heating
Power

*People*

Family
Kids
Pets
Population

*

Bathroom
Household
Kitchen
Laundry Room
Sanitation
Shelter
Yard

* Transport

*

Cars
Transportation
Bicycles
Carts
Animals

* Money/Finance

*

Barter
Expenses and Income
Local Business
Local Currency

http://vensol.blogspot.com/2007/12/cuba-australia-permaculture-exchange.html

Peak Oil Survival: Preparation for Life After Gridcrash By Aric McBay <http://astore.amazon.com/booksptp-20/detail/1592281273/105-6154186-7665265>
Oil and energy are not limitless resources, and someday the supply will be depleted. Peak Oil Survival shows readers how to plan for the future: how to survive and thrive when the food, transport, and energy industries sputter out. Author Aric McBay gives an essential crash course complete with clear, simple instructions and easy-to-read diagrams. Peak Oil Survival will explain how people can protect their families and strengthen their communities in the event of a crisis - and live comfortably off the grid.

See Robert Waldrop's Pathways to Local Food Systems <http://www.communitysolution.org/05conf/docs/waldrop.pdf>

Scan the abstracts for the upcoming Ecocity World Summit <http://www.ecocityworldsummit.org/abstracts_full.htm> in SF in April.

I'm thinking of titles for such a course (and I will likely use this one for a class locally)
Food For All, For Now and Forever: A Crash Course in Post-Crash Food Production

Michael Pilarski wrote:
PERMACULTURE PREPARATION FOR TRAINING OF EMERGENCY FOOD PRODUCTION

Permaculture, train-the-trainers programs for crash food production in emergency situations.

I am looking for a curriculum for a permaculture, train-the-trainers program for crash-course, intensive, food production in urban areas. Not a whole permaculture design course, but rather a practical how-to grow food in small spaces with little resources. Specifically in a way which empowers the person to go out and train others.

I am proposing that some Northwest permaculture people put their heads together and come up with a curriculum that suits the Northwest situation.

Where else has this been done? Cuba, Zimbabwe, India? This is a common way that agriculture dissemination happens in Africa and the Two Thirds World. Most likely that is what they did in Cuba during the Special Period.

Who knows how much time we have before the "shit hits the fan". Now would be a good time to put something together. What are the best models we can look at? Grow Biointensive trainings? LEISA?

Thanks for any ideas, leads or offers of collaboration.

Michael Pilarski
Friends of the Trees Society
michael@friendsofthetrees.ne

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47407
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
http://www.PermacultureTradingPost.com
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
http://www.ARCulture.org
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a
small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild
http://my.calendars.net/bloomingtonpccal/
and: http://bloomingtonpermacultureguild.blogspot.com/
also: Bioregional Congress
http://www.bioregional-congress.org

  • [permaculture] train-the-trainers: Food For All, For Now & Forever: A Crash Course in Post-Crash Food Production, Keith Johnson, 01/20/2008