permaculture - Re: [permaculture] USDA undermining Organic AGAIN!!!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] USDA undermining Organic AGAIN!!!
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:58:07 -0500

lbsaltzman@aol.com wrote:
We need to fight these issues as they arise, and people should protest this;
but I think the problem began when the
organic industry went for the standard in the first place.? Part of the
reasoning at the time was that it would make their
products easier to sell Internationally. But it was naive to think that the government wouldn't screw this up as big agricultural
and food packaging companies smelled money.? The real long term solution is the relocalization of food and the development of
strong relationships between ethical farmers and ranchers with the local
consumers in their areas.
> Then the labelling games won't have the same effect.

The thing is to put it all in sharp focus so growers will switch to local
sales through tsel-created
networks. Back again to the overlapping regional networks of local product &
services production, marketing
and distribution networks.

Stay tuned, meanwhile read this from your fellow Californian organic market
farmer, Sal Schettino: