permaculture - Re: [permaculture] More information re: Cuba connection

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] More information re: Cuba connection
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 11:04:30 +1100

Hi John
I'm in contact with the Cubans who were at IPC8. Robert Perez, who speaks on
Power of Community, will be coming to Australia for 2 months to share the
Cuban experience here - see http://www.permaculture.com.au for more info.

If you do a google search on *Cuba health system nutrition* a lot of
interesting links come up - you may find some answers exploring these. The
health system employs a lot of herbs and traditional medicines.

Due to the blockade, Cuba is limited with food imports and in particular
staples like rice and wheat which are rationed. Carbohydrate intake is lower
than recommended by WHO. There are also problems with insufficient Vit A and
B intake.

I haven't been to Cuba yet (am going in May), but pc friends who've been
there say the food isn't great (a legacy of the old colonial days) and have
recommended I give some cooking lessons while I'm there!!!

Ciao
Robyn