permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 59, Issue 40

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Charles de Matas <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 59, Issue 40
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 19:04:07 +0000

The example of the catholic priest not being environmentally friendly is
probably extreme. My own observations have been different, maybe things are
different in other countries. The secondary school I attended was run by a
community of catholic priests. Many of my teachers were priests. I have to
say that they were very abstemious and lived very simply. One priest ran a
boy scouts group and took boys camping and taught them skills of living off
the land etc. One priest who taught me many years ago recently celebrated
his 60th anniversay as a priest. He still drives a car and teaches. I
attribute his longevity to his simple living, manual work (woodworking) and
celebacy.
I appreciate Greg's comments on celibacy. Up to a few years ago I've
wanted to get married. I'm beginning to feel glad I haven't. When I see all
the problems involved with marriage and raising children in an environment
bombarded by advertising meant to artificially increase human wants, I think
it may be actually better to remain celebate. The fanasty world that Greg
talks about is now enhanced by the electronic media and beamed by satelite
over the world. A "cultural synchronization" is taking place that will
destroy traditional values. The commercialization of sex, although it has
always been a part of society, has reached new levels with through digital
technology.
I no longer practice any form of religion, neither catholicism, nor
essenism, nor raja yoga (which also encourages people to be celebate). But I
don't want to dismiss the moral teachings of traditional religions. There
may be something of intrinsic value in them. My thought for now.

constant gardener.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
I must take issue with the assumption that being celibate somehow assumes
conservation of resources. > > >>An example: the Catholic priest who lives
across the street from where I work. He weighs in around 250 lbs. He has an
>>SUV and a Harley. Does not recycle. Or attempt to limit his utilities. Buys
a $4 caramel latte everyday. A few years ago I >>was behind him in the
grocery and he had a cart full of tv dinners, Hostess cup cakes, diet coke,
and tabloid newspapers. >>Oh, plus a carton of smokes....> > >>I would be
willing to wager that his impact on the environment is greater than my friend
who lives in the woods w/o >>electricity, grows most of her own food (edible
landscaped) and occasionally hunts for meat....and enjoys sex. > > Evidently,
that priest wasn't denying himself very well.> > None of us is perfect. We
all need to do more to lessen our impact since there is over 6 billion people
in the world. If we show the world that sex is so wonderful, curious and
careless minds will want to try it causing us more problems. I know from my
own personal experience that sex isn't that wonderful. Consenting adults
should only have sex to bring a child into the world as long as it doesn't
stress the community.> > >I would also like to add that native/indigenous
peoples managed to more or less check population growth for tens of
>thousands of years without industrial products like condoms, the pill or
other birth control devices.> > Good. Abstinence is even better. You don't
have near jealousy or covetousness with abstinence. For example, if someone
is unable to have sex because of a birth defect or because no one wants them,
won't they feel left out when the ones who do have it brag about how
wonderful it is. I am sure the indigenous people had their quibbles or
violent fights over love affairs if they enjoyed sex like you say they did.
You see animals fighting in the wild all of the time over the right to have
sex. I came to the conclusion it is not worth it. I feel like less of a
threat when I don't have it. Peace.> > Greg

  • Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 59, Issue 40, Charles de Matas, 12/31/2007