permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The conservative/liberal story

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The conservative/liberal story
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:17:48 EST

It's rare for anyone now to think of John Locke as being a liberal. In fact
he's a hero in libertarian and conservative circles. Right here in NC, for
example, we have our own John Locke Foundation, responsible for the
dissemination
of all the world's most pernicious ideas. They, like most people owing fealty
to the ideas of Locke, promulgate the corporate agenda,

And let's not forget, as Peter Laslett reminds us in The World We Have Lost,
that "John Locke laid it down in 1697 that the children of the poor must work
for some part of the day when they reached the age of three", as he
recommended to the London Board of Trade.

The true radical was Thomas Paine. Read his tract, Agrarian Justice:

http://www.constitution.org/tp/agjustice.htm

In fact, go down to the library and read all his other works. Had he been in
charge, the American Revolution might have gotten off on the right track.