permaculture - Re: [permaculture] quinoa rinse water repellent?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charlotte Yongue" <charlotte.yongue@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] quinoa rinse water repellent?
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:59:51 -0500

i know you're supposed to rinse quinoa before cooking it because it
naturally has a bitter coating:
(from wikipedia):

"In its natural state quinoa has a coating of bitter-tasting saponins,
making it essentially unpalatable. Most quinoa sold commercially in
North America has been processed to remove this coating...However,
this bitterness has beneficial effects in terms of cultivation, as it
is a crop that is relatively untouched by birds and thus requires
minimal protection...The saponin content in quinoa can be mildly
toxic, as can be the oxalic acid content found in the leaves of all of
the chenopodium family. However, the risks associated with quinoa are
minimal provided that it is properly prepared and leaves are not eaten
to excess."

so maybe the deer taste the bitterness and dont want to eat the
surrounding plants? hope this helps.

charlotte