permaculture - Re: [permaculture] (fwd) Recommended reading (found in the file archives of the FoodWaterShelter forum)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] (fwd) Recommended reading (found in the file archives of the FoodWaterShelter forum)
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:06:53 -0500

Good list, Lawrence. Thanks

I strongly agree with you regarding Lewis Hill's propagation book. I used it as the principle text for a propagation course I taught last spring.

I haven't yet read 10 Acres Enough but I'll track it down. Another good book on the subject is Joel Salatin's You Can Farm. Reminds me, too, of *Booker T. Whatley's handbook on how to make $100,000 farming 25 acres**********.*

If y'all haven't looked at it yet, there's a large list of seed sources at http://permacultureactivist.net/TradingPost/TradingPost.htm
and another for Plant Nurseries at http://permacultureactivist.net/nurseries/PlntNursrys.htm

Seems like a good time for me to create a page devoted to animal resources, too. (Something to do this winter)

BTW, hope y'all are enjoying the latest Activist issue on Animals in Design.

I've been reading ACRES USA for almost thirty years now and still love it.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
(found in the file archives of the FoodWaterShelter forum)

READING MATERIAL TO LIVE BY

Here is a list for those that are interested.
****** indicate must reads

Seeds, Plants, and Chickens:

Secrets of PLANT PROPAGATION ***********
the best book on propagation I have seen
Lewis Hill
ISBN: 0-88266-370-4

Small farm books and pubs

Acres USA- The voice of Eco-Agriculture ***********
ISSN: 1076-4968
www.acresusa.com
512-892-4400

Ten Acres Enough **********************************
The small farm dream is possible
ISBN: 1-8852210-03-5
--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47407
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
http://www.PermacultureTradingPost.com
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
http://www.ARCulture.org
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a
small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild