permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Buying Masanobu Fukuoka books

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Linda Shewan <linda.shewan@bryn.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Buying Masanobu Fukuoka books
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 12:16:51 +1100

Depends what you want out of them.

Everyone I know who has read them has been inspired, including myself,
particularly The One Straw Revolution. I think it helps if you tend toward
the spiritual aspect of working with nature to provide food rather than
'gardening' per se. One permaculture person looks at these things quite
differently from another eg. pruning or not pruning trees, planning guilds or
letting nature choose where a plant will grow etc etc. He says that the real
aim of farming is not the growing of food but the perfection of the human
spirit... (or similar).

But on the other hand he is seriously talking about farming techniques,
particularly in his rice/barley fields and his second book has detail on crop
rotations, improving the soil etc.

Why don't you get a copy from the library and see if what he says gels before
you buy them? The www.soilandhealth.org library has a copy of his first 2
books.

Linda