permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Cows, farmers, consumers: Unite - oppose total rBGH label ban]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Cows, farmers, consumers: Unite - oppose total rBGH label ban]
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 21:31:38 -0500

Thanks, Lawrence,
I sent my letter to the governor immediately. For more about rbGH go to:

http://www.trafford.com/06-0676

A direct link to send mail to the Pa Gov is:

http://ga3.org/campaign/PA_rBGH

Keith

Pennsylvania's sustainable/organic farming group leaders and its
indepenent milk processors are asking for support. We want to roll back
an order from the state's director of agriculture that would eliminate
any statement of the use of recombinant bovine growth hormone
(somatotropin)-- known as rbGH or rbST and marketed by Monsanto under
the brand name Posilac.

While the director claims he wants to reduce "consumer confusion" caused
by vague labeling claims of "no growth hormones," his order goes much
further, and actually excludes any mention of the non-use of rbGH, no
matter how truthfully worded in reference to what is not administered to
cattle producing the product.

As resistance to this order has started to come in, there's already been
a month's delay in the effective date, now moved to Feb. 1, 2008. The PA
Senate ag committee has scheduled a hearing on the order for Dec. 5, and
it promises to be exciting.

For background and action alert options....
http://www.newfarm.org/features/2007/1107/pamilk/rbgh.shtml
--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47407
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
http://www.PermacultureTradingPost.com
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
http://www.ARCulture.org
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a
small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild