permaculture - Re: [permaculture] ibiblio & its origins

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] ibiblio & its origins
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 04:06:02 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

http://www.ibiblio.org

For those interested there is a history of ibiblio featured this month:

http://www.ibiblio.org/fents/fenton.digitallibrary.pdf

Various Collections – September 1992
In September of 1992, Jones wrote an email appraising the state of the
SunSITE collections:
“Our student Jonathan Magid has done a bang up job of gathering "good stuff" at SunSITE and we're getting over 200 ftp sessions per day during the week and about 120-150 per day on the weekends. Thanks to Jon we have an incredible collection of sounds and we should have the Smithsonian photo archives in gif format by Educom (or shortly after). We've

also gotten a couple of folks to moderate their special interest areas in
neural nets, sustainable agriculture, and

-----------------------
[Those were my archives of messages in my FidoNet sustainable agriculture discussion forum, SUST_AG. This permaculture list began at just about the same time, first on an Extension server at NCSU then moved to UNC then to ibiblio. The PC list archives were browseable on the mail server and readable and downloadable by FTP and Gopher. There were renewable energy info archives online also - digital copies of articles from Home Power Magazine]. Good times were had by all.

model rockets--not the hottest topics but a good way for us to learn how to
distribute authority.
We also continue to WAIS index and archive all the Sun realted news groups as well as the Clinton and Bush speeches. We are getting about 300-400 WAIS searches per week day so far. We've also played a bit with the WAIS-FTP indexing and it works just fine. We need more and better readmes in place for that to work just right and I've hired another student to help out in that area.” 14

LL

There's more - those were fun times; all us BBS'ers helped each other keep up
with the technology of the day
plus migration to Unix and the online world of the Internet. That was real
community.

"Alternative Technology and Other Archives
A Chatham County farmer, Larry London, moved the archives of several gardening groups to SunSITE, establishing an archive of sustainable agriculture which eventually grew and expanded to become the diverse, multi-layered EcoLand tech Other early archives included an Internet Talk Radio, pioneered by Carl Malamud, which was a professionally produced radio show in Sparc audio format; archives for many groups including welsh language, the Yiddish Mailing List, personality typing systems; multiple economics groups and resources, including the full text of the North American Free Trade Agreement; Dr. Fun, the first web comic; an archive of traditional Chinese music and the OTIS on-line art gallery- “experiments in graphics and collaborative”.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflj@intrex.net