permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Sun. 5pm @ CHICLE: Future of Cuba's envir: attyDan Whittle]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Nancy Bracewell" <Cather39@bham.rr.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Sun. 5pm @ CHICLE: Future of Cuba's envir: attyDan Whittle]
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:11:47 -0600

I do SO HOPE that Cuba continues on the path toward the sanity of attending
to the environment! Economic development follows that, but with the emphasis
on the economic, the environment won't follow!
Reminds me of William Jennings Bryan's Cross of Gold speech, where cities
represent the economy and farms represent the environment:
" Burn down your cities and leave our farms, and your cities will spring up
again as if by magic. But destroy our farms and the grass will grow in the
streets of every city in the country."
I believe this to be an excellent analogy and I hope Cuba is mindful. I wish
all the nations of the earth could realize it.

Nancy
Cob is fire proof, but our society outlaws it. --Ray Cirino

http://people.tribe.net/raycirino/photos/3352a8b8-0373-47dc-8728-6feaf3716e3