permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ron Paul's Raw Milk Bill

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Nancy Bracewell" <Cather39@bham.rr.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ron Paul's Raw Milk Bill
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 14:27:56 -0600

The full URL for that bill is
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:1:./temp/~c110OXgLoT::
I'm not fully informed as to intent or as to which states allow
unpasteurized milk to be sold, but I've known since I was a child that it is
the "dairy industry" that insists on the regulations. Not to get too
political here, but the larger dairy operations put the scare of typhoid and
such into the public. Clean and reasonable keeping and handling of dairy
cows doesn't spread disease; it's unclean, crowded conditions. The big
operators wanted to "milk" the market by taking shortcuts in those areas.
You know the rule, "If you can't buy them out of business, regulate them
out."
I do know that unpasteurized milk is hard to come by in the states where
I've been. I needed it for making cheese and butter and had to find somebody
who knew somebody . . . and even then the dairy owners (a very small
operation) were leery at first. Unpasteurized milk is very much better than
what comes off grocery store shelves!
I'm still not sure it wouldn't be the same situation! Straight from the cow
is better!
We are over-regulated in situations that hurt the small operators and
under-regulated in situations that hurt the individual at the mercy of the
big operators.
That's why I asked about all the "going green" conferences!
In this situation, as in all -- qui bono?

Nancy
Cob is fire proof, but our society outlaws it. --Ray Cirino

http://people.tribe.net/raycirino/photos/3352a8b8-0373-47dc-8728-6feaf3716e3