permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Soil Carbonization - THE TREATMENT for PERMANENT Soil Fertility

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Brent Neal <brentn@freeshell.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Soil Carbonization - THE TREATMENT for PERMANENT Soil Fertility
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 22:03:30 -0400

On Oct 27, 2007, at 5:39, Vital Scherrer wrote:

Hello,
Discussing about carbon in mulches, I wonder whether the article below has
ever been published and reviewed in this forum; as I am new here I would
have thought it did. But as it is one of the most important issues, it's
certainly vital to bring it up (again?). I would appreciate it to get
information about experiences and possibly alternative furnace constructions
and -methods to produce the low temperature charcoal, possibly suppliers of
furnaces or even of the charcoal.
Cheerio
Vital, Madeira, Portugal

Vital -

Here's a pdf that discusses a continuous processor for doing this kind of pyrolysis. This claims that the charcoal yield from this design is higher than other methods and that it is "cleaner" since it uses the methane byproduct from the pyrolysis for an energy source.

http://www.pronatura.org/projects/green_charcoal_en.pdf

Brent Neal
http://brentn.freeshell.org
<brentn@freeshell.org>