permaculture - [permaculture] BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Climate threat to biodiversity

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Climate threat to biodiversity
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:35:06 -0400

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7058627.stm>

Last Updated: Wednesday, 24 October 2007, 07:34 GMT 08:34 UK
Climate threat to biodiversity
Simulation of asteroid hitting Earth
One-fifth of land species died out 65 million years ago
Global temperatures predicted for the coming centuries could trigger a mass
extinction, UK scientists have warned.

The temperatures are within the range of greenhouse phases early in the
Earth's history when up to 95% of plants and
animals died out, they say.

Experts examined the link between climate and diversity over 520 million
years, almost the entire fossil record.

They found that global diversity is high during cool (icehouse) periods and
low during warm (greenhouse) phases.

"Our results provide the first clear evidence that global climate may explain
substantial variation in the fossil record
in a simple and consistent manner," said Dr Peter Mayhew of the University of
York.

"If our results hold for current warming, the magnitude of which is
comparable with the long-term fluctuations in the
Earth's climate, they suggest that extinctions will increase."

Warmer, wetter

The research, published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B, compared data
sets on marine and land diversity against
estimates of sea surface temperatures for the same period.

They found that four out of the five mass extinction events on Earth are
associated with greenhouse phases (warmer,
wetter conditions) rather than icehouse phases (cold, dry conditions).

These include Earth's worst mass extinction 251 million years ago when some
95% of all species were lost.

"We could - at worst - be experiencing that in the next century - only a few human
generations down the line," Dr Mayhew
told BBC News.

"We need to know why temperatures and extinctions are linked in this way."

Bookmark with:

* Delicious
* Digg
* reddit
* Facebook
* StumbleUpon

CLIMATE CHANGE

Factory graphic Animated guide
Find out how the greenhouse effect works and more...

GLOBAL POLITICS
Politicians sign new climate pact
China building more power plants

EU/UK POLITICS
Tory group backs new flight tax
Parties 'failing' on green issues

IPCC ASSESSMENT
Climate change 'can be tackled'
Billions face climate change risk

FEATURES
Stark picture of warming world
Mapping climate change
Climate curbs: Who will buy?
Through the climate window
Climate action 'needs devolution'
Power station harnesses Sun
Scrutinising climate economics

BACKGROUND
Q&A: Climate change
The evidence
Models 'key to climate forecasts'
Earth - melting in the heat?

INTERACTIVE
Gore's Nobel win: Your comments

FROM ACROSS THE BBC
Climate change portal

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
Proceedings of the Royal Society B
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflj@intrex.net

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflj@intrex.net
Venaura Farm http://venaurafarm.blogspot.com
Agriculture, Market Farming & Permaculture
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech

  • [permaculture] BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Climate threat to biodiversity, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 10/24/2007