permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 57, Issue 11

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: scakya@lobo.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 57, Issue 11
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:35:26 -0600

Hi,
I'm generally a lurker but with Stellar jays and chickadees visiting my high desert farm, thought I'd add my two cents. For those of us who live and breathe Permaculture change is part of Nature and we learn/adapt.
I've planted hundreds of trees on my twenty five acres, along with many shrubs and herbs useful to not only myself, but the plants themselves. A forest garden needs to be cared for, but in a way that meets simply what the forest/humans needs. Trees may need pruning after a storm and not to do so may cause harm to the tree, but may also benefit its environment through the fungi and other life forms that are part of the ecosystem. It is out role as caretaker to make that decision.
The trees talk to me, if I'm in a "space" where can hear them.It was they that suggested I interplant my garden in their alleys(orchard trees). This worked well and also showed me what was lacking in the local environment. Which once I knew, knew also how to fix the problem.
From what I've observed, ideally, we need to learn to work with nature. I'm in the process of turning my little farm into a forest garden,and designing a new home that is more suitable to working with Earth in a balanced way-including not only how its powered, but also how wastes are treated.

Have a great day,
Pat
Earthwalker Farm