permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Looking for a quote about Conservation Biological Control]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Looking for a quote about Conservation Biological Control]
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 14:43:45 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SANET-MG] Looking for a quote about Conservation Biological
Control
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 09:27:27 -0700
From: Matthew Shepherd (Xerces Society) <mdshepherd@XERCES.ORG>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Hi,

I'm passing along the message below for a colleague. If you can respond
to his request, please reply to mace@xerces.org
<mailto:mace@xerces.org>, not by hitting "reply." (Obviously, I would
forward anything to him, but it's a little easier if you correspond
directly!) Thanks.

Matthew

Hello,

I am working on a brochure about providing habitat features for pest
management. Habitat features include insectary strips, beetle banks,
native plantings, cover crops, etc. I am now scouring the Eastern
half of the country for growers who utilize some of the pest management
practices, who farm at least 50 acres, and who are willing to provide a
short quote (about 30 words) we could consider using in the brochure.
Do you all know -- or are you -- a well-spoken grower who has put these
habitat practices in the ground?

Ideally, the final quote we choose will address some mix of the
following: a specific crop, a specific practice, a moment of insight,
and a specific benefit to the grower. I wrote four examples to give
folks a sense of what I'm looking for (see below). In all likelihood,
whatever quote we get we will need to edit for space and content. So,
if 30 words is too short, we can take a longer quote and edit it down.
Then we would get it back to the grower for final approval.

All submissions may be sent to me, along with information about the farm
(location, size, crops grown, etc.) and the practices that have been put
in the ground (ideally, including the area of the habitat features).

Thanks so much for any help or connections you can provide.

Sincerely,
Mace Vaughan

*Examples of quotes on the value of conservation biological control
(approximately 30 words)
*

“Planting strips of (native) flowers to help feed good bugs has changed
the way we see insects on the farm. We recognize more and more
beneficial insects and we use pesticides less and less.”

“When managing pests in (crop type), experience has taught us the value
of habitat on our farm. We maintain more flowers and use fewer
pesticides, and save money at the same time.”

“We use many practices-­such as flower-rich hedgerows, insectary strips
and cover crops­-to support the good bugs on our farm so that they in
turn feed upon our (crop type) pests and reduce our need for pesticides.”

"Until we started looking for the beneficial insects visiting the
insectary plantings around our farm, we had no idea there was such a
variety and that they were providing such a service. We are using fewer
pesticides now than at any other time in our operation."

*The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation*
The Xerces Society is an international nonprofit organization that
protects the diversity of life through invertebrate conservation. To
join the Society, make a contribution, or read about our work,
please visit www.xerces.org <http://www.xerces.org/>.

Matthew Shepherd
Senior Conservation Associate
4828 SE Hawthorne Boulevard, Portland, OR 97215, USA
Tel: 503-232 6639 Cell: 503-807 1577 Fax: 503-233 6794
Email: mdshepherd@xerces.org <mailto:mdshepherd@xerces.org>

  • [permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Looking for a quote about Conservation Biological Control], Lawrence F. London, Jr., 10/02/2007