permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Joules Ain't Joules

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Laurence Gaffney" <lgaffney@bigpond.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Joules Ain't Joules
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 23:25:32 +1000

1. Toby Hemenway wrote:-
> "The 1/170,000 yield for solar electricity is quite revealing."

Yes, and it must be remembered that this Transformity (170,000) was a mean
number from a number of different ways of generating electrical power. The
Transformity of Electricity generated by modern photovoltaic cells is much
higher than this. Odum quotes a Transformity of 416,000 for a Solar Voltaic
Grid (Austin Texas) in his 1996 book titled Environmental Accounting - Wiley
It would appear that one step devices that take in low grade energy (solar)
at one end and spit out high grade energy (electricity) at the other have
inherently higher transformities than a multi-stepped approach such as solar
to wood to electricity. In the same book Odum quotes a Wood Power Plant
(Thailand) as having a Transformity of 67,000.

2. Nathan Czuba wrote:-
> "(although there should be a caveat on this related to natural sunlight
> and just warmth and whatever else, but that's never been figured into any
> energy budget data I've ever seen [although I imagine that some
> environmental/ecological economist has had to examine this, anyone have any
> thoughts?])."

This I believe is just what Odum does attempt to do though the analysis gets
abit technical for me. Suggest you check out Table C3 on Page 309 of
Environmental Accounting. This Table lists Solar Transformities of Global
Flows.

3. Toby also wrote:-
> Thus the US uses 735%, or 7-fold, more usable energy each year than
> falls on the entire country as solar energy.

Shouldn't the 735 be multiplied by 100 to get the percentage?

I have had another look at Odum's Environmental Accounting Book and I
understand him to be saying that:-
(A) Incident annual Sunlight over the USA is 44.8 Z Joules (4.48E22 J)
(page 187)
(B) Annual USA Emergy Use about 7851 Z solar emjoules (785.1E22 seJ)
(page 199)

It gets complicated as Emergy inputs also include contributions from the
Earths Deep Heat and Tidal Energy.

In any case I totally agree with Toby,s comment that:-
> "Bingo. That should suggest the nature of our problem. Energy conversion
> is the killer.

The Laws of Thermodynamics present a much bigger threat to the American (USA)
way of life than does Al Queda.

Laurence Gaffney