permaculture - Re: [permaculture] ducks and stuff....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] ducks and stuff....
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:38:27 EDT

lynnann says "the DNR has strict laws about livestock within 1000 feet of the
lake...so...alas I am without goats and chickens at this point in my life.

"They did suggest that I could keep native foul for eggs and butchering
(seems like an oxymoron to me???), just no domestic birds or foul...but I
have had
trouble finding any information about keeping "wild" birds along the lake.
Housing would be the biggest concern during the winter up here....I
mean...geez...they all fly south for the winters as a rule...."

lynnann-- I would give your local chapter of Ducks Unlimited a call, and tell
them you want to attract some ducks to your property. Ask them what wild
ducks like to eat that's easy to grow next to a pond. I think they'll be
happy to
tell you.

My first impulse was to suggest wild rice

http://www.ipmcenters.org/cropprofiles/docs/mnwildrice.html

but I think you may be a little too far south for it. That would have been
good, because even in a worst case, if the ducks don't clean your stand out
you
can still eat the rice.

All this is with the presumption that you're not going to be keeping those
birds, but instead shooting and eating them. Before trying to trap and cage,
you
should check one more time with the DNR to see what methods of trapping they
suggest. I have a strong hunch they have some rules and requirements.

Michael