permaculture - Re: [permaculture] "ORGANICS" WAS A Look at CCD

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Margaret & Steven Eisenhauer" <eisenhauerdesign@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] "ORGANICS" WAS A Look at CCD
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:31:47 -0400

We're in the southern Adirondacks on a small 45 acre farm/woodlot. We
bought our 1st hive last year, and it was heavily hit by varroa mites at the
end of the season, but the girls made it through the winter. This spring we
added 2-more hives and overall, they appear to be going gang-busters. We
currently have 3-honey supers on last years and 1 of this years hives and
the 2nd one from this year is going slower, but comparable to last years 1st
hive.

In a nutshell, we do not appear to be affected (and I'll knock on wood to
maintain that thought). We practice organic gardening/lawn maintenance, and
the orchards that are around us are defunct, so they are not "out gassing
any sprays/pesticides". We do not have cell phone service in our area.

We have been thinking about doing the "natural comb size" hives, but with
full-time jobs, do not yet have the time/energy. And, we are seeing apples
in our diminished orchard AND the surrounding defunct ones this year, so the
girls appear to be doing a good thing.

We are of the nature where we leave them alone and let them do their thing.
We are NOT out there every week checking and "cleaning" the hives. Now
already talking about getting, at the very least, 2-more hives next year.
Our primary desire is to give back to the land and get it back to where it
once was at the origination of the 150 year old homestead that we live on.
Having no desire to get into trucking of bees, we work to "cultivate" our
land to give them the most healthful feeding we can.

Ask us again next spring. We are hopeful that our girls will make it
through the NY Adirondack winter. It is a trial for any creature that can
not be contained within the comforts of a house.

S&M - Spring Mountain Farm