permaculture - [permaculture] windbreak shelter plants for vege garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Linda Shewan <linda.shewan@bryn.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] windbreak shelter plants for vege garden
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 16:27:29 +1000

I am working out my spring planting for the school teepee village garden - we
have 7 individual gardens each with a 7 foot high bamboo teepee surrounded by
a 30-60cm garden bed. Surrounding that is a mulched path and then another
garden bed of approx 20-30cm wide to grow tall shelter plants for the vine
crops on the teepee (and provide fun play spaces for the kids). I used corn
on one bed last year to great success and am building the others this year so
looking for more ideas for the other 6 gardens.

So far my list is arrowroot, 2 different types of sunflower, sweet corn and
pop corn.

My other thoughts were Jerusalem artichoke and perennial sunflowers, but I
don't want them to spread into the garden itself and I know Jerusalem
artichokes are meant to be rampant - not sure about perennial sunflowers.
Will the mulched path be enough to stop them spreading back into the teepee
garden?

Or any other ideas for tall-ish windbreak providing plants - I don't have the
budget to create post and wire supports for berries etc. Could a grain like
buckwheat work?

I am trying to learn the wiki so I can post my designs there but in the
meantime it is attached here. Any comments on any of it eg. companions/guilds
etc are welcome.

Thanks, Linda

  • [permaculture] windbreak shelter plants for vege garden, Linda Shewan, 08/09/2007