permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Academy of natural farming]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Academy of natural farming]
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 11:38:30 -0500

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
Kawaguchi in Japan has done the same, and
soil scientist Michael Melendrez in New Mexico has devised a competely
vegan product called "Protein Crumblies": that delivers glycoproteins
(protein/carbohydrate) to the colonies of microbes that benefically
"infect" plant roots to shuttle nutrients back and forth. Vegan farming
is good for entirely pragmitic reasons--it works! No animals need apply.
Welcome to the age of "stock-free": farming.

I am glad to see a subclass of natural farmers headed in the more
elegant and safer direction of veganic farming. Gardens are certainly
part of the food web, and the microbes, worms, and other creepy crawlies
endemic to this werb are welcome, but we don't need the horses, cows,
and other big-manure animals or even the medium size ones like ducks and
chickens to make our gardens work.
While I'm not there yet, I can see how better storage methodology, diet change and year-round growing will alter my perspective of including animals in the cycle here. Right now, it is also our safe back up of food source year-round not just fertilizer source.

We still need adjustment for grubbing and enjoy eggs and their gifters sharing our life. They don't just gift eggs, and cycle peels and insect ridden plant parts (and insects) into fertilizer, they also sing, dance, and sound alarm. Hard to imagine life feeling balanced with only humans, insects and plants. Course, I also spin wool and enjoy fiber animals too.

Now I'm intrigued to think, how much plant matter does it take for a warm garment? Silk underlayer from worms in a drawer, I'll totally go for, and even eat the larval victims instead of feeding to chickens. But what about the bulk insulation? Stuffing besides wool or feathers?

Kathyann