permaculture - Re: [permaculture] FW: Democratic solutions to Permaculture conflicts?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "oliver smith callis" <oliversmithcallis@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] FW: Democratic solutions to Permaculture conflicts?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 22:36:34 -0600

I am young in the permaculture community, but in addition to my self guided
study, I have searched extensively through the internet for information
about education and advancement within this design field, trying to chart my
future path in learning. I was inspired after I found the Tagari site and
read the documents of the Permaculture Institute, dealing with a community
of learners growing together in experience and practice. I personally am
attracted to the idea of families and lineage in permaculture education,
knowing how your education is connected to the deeper pools of experience in
design and practice within the field. The pattern of trees branching comes
to mind.

It seems to me that we need to be sure that permaculture knowledge is being
fully passed on, shared, and utilized. As all lineages can be traced to Bill
and David, to me it seems logical to become certified by/recieve a diploma
from the Permaculture Institute/Tagari (I am not aware of a separate
institute created by David Holmgren) or another institute it determines to
be competent (like the one founded by Bill and Scott) of ensuring that
permaculturalists are qualified and have complete access to all of the
information and experience necessary for learning. Hopefully this would be a
catalyst for the development of a strong community of learners.

I agree that we need to have an institute that grows out of consensus rather
than a majority democracy, in the meanwhile we can build on the structure
which is at hand....