permaculture - Re: [permaculture] BBC NEWS | Americas | Woman jailed for 'neglected' lawn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] BBC NEWS | Americas | Woman jailed for 'neglected' lawn
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 14:05:03 -0700

Why be suprised?
Land use covenents are common in new development across America and sometime even at the municipal level. Your neighbors turn you in to governing bodies, they mow your lawn, and then bill you for it or put a lien on your property. Municipalities beg, borrow, or steal water to support expansion of urban areas to increase tax revenue to pay for expansion of urban areas, from the ground, from rivers, from each other. A large segment of the American population have become convinced that a nice trim green grass monoculture as evidence that we care about our community and selves. Lawn maintenance training is a rite of passage for most teenage males, and a source of income. They wouldn't know what else to do even if they came to feel the death in it all. Much work to do. Lots of politics.
Paul Cereghino

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

So where are they going to get the water in the first place; why would anyone
want to waste it on a lawn
and why should anyone be forced under penalty of incarceration to comply with
such a ridiculous rule.
Martin would go into cardiac arrest about this. And the thug beat the lady up
and lied about it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6282348.stm>
Last Updated: Sunday, 8 July 2007, 15:27 GMT 16:27 UK
Woman jailed for 'neglected' lawn
Map
A 70-year-old US woman has been left bruised and bloody after an unexpected clash with police who came to arrest her because her lawn was dry and brown.

Trouble flared when Utah pensioner Betty Perry, 70, refused to give her name to an officer trying to caution her for not watering her lawn.

She says the officer hit her with handcuffs, cutting her nose, although
police insist she slipped and fell.

Ms Perry said she was "distraught" after the incident.

He's just trying to cover his tracks, as far as I'm concerned
Betty Perry

She denied that she was resisting arrest, maintaining that she turned to go inside to call her son to fix the confusing dispute.

"I tried to sit down and get away from him," she told Utah newspaper the
Daily Herald.

"I don't know what he's doing. I said: 'What are you doing?' And he hit me with
those handcuffs in my face," she said.

"He's just trying to cover his tracks, as far as I'm concerned."

Set free

The officer had judged that Ms Perry's "sadly neglected and dying landscape" breached an Orem city guideline and was attempting to issue a formal caution when the 70-year-old was injured.

She was treated in a local hospital for the cut to her nose and for other
bruises before being taken to jail.

But she was let go when police realised there were "other ways" of finding out her identity without taking her to jail, a police spokesman said.

The arresting officer has not been named but has been placed on
administrative leave, he added.

Ms Perry, who says she has never had a run-in with police in the past, has been offered help by local church leaders to clean up her garden.

"I'm very distraught over all this," she said.

"I can't believe this happened. Do you ever just wish you could start your day
over and it would all be different?"