permaculture - [permaculture] Political Control Over Globalization

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Political Control Over Globalization
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:36:58 -0500

Colin Mason writes, in /The 2030 Spike, "/Failure to redress the poverty most humans live in, and an almost total lack of political control over globalization - which is irresponsible in the pure sense of the word - are likely to increase economic disproportion and the conflict it causes."

I read over and over that the thing feeding Islam's radical fundamentalists is poverty and powerlessness to maintain traditional cultural values. The reason Osama bin Laden gave for 9/11 was the US military occupation of Saudi Arabia, which Wasabis consider holy, thus inviolate. Note that there is no longer an obvious US military presence in Saudi Arabia. Does it pay to punch the US in the nose in front of God and everybody big enough to look?

If Permaculture embraces the principles of personal responsibility for the state of the world, why is there not an organized response to, or even a conversation about, globalization on this listserve? I know of no organized response from Permaculture, per se, to globalization. Are we resigned to the inevitability of corporate dominance? Do we seek to fly under the corporate radar to avoid this fight with the unbeatable foe? How wonderful is that? How much of the troubles in the world can be directly attributed to multinational corporations that are beyond political control? Aren't we ultimately responsible for the behavior of our corporate persons? Are we asleep at the switch of global citizenship?

What can we do to gain political control over globalization? Shouldn't we be doing it? Haven't corporations had it their way long enough for us to tell where it takes us? Can we allow this course to play itself out? Dare we? Who is it up to?

Smiles.
Tommy Tolson
Austin, TX