permaculture - [permaculture] Crabgrass/bermuda conversation continuation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michelle Maggiore" <mmaggior@mindspring.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Crabgrass/bermuda conversation continuation
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 00:02:26 -0400

The suggestions are all valuable, so many great resources to call on for
different approaches....

On Gardenweb (the organic forum) there was some debate amongst people on
whether or not spraying vinegar solution on it is good. Opinions? (A debate
broke out on that list too because of the mention of glycophosphate....

I did spray vinegar on a test area, it was white vinegar, and it has been two
days. Not seeing much change yet, but it should be noted that this test area
was a pathway, not a bed.I like the idea of vinegar because it would ba an
on-farm solution, once our apple trees really start to produce.

I am leaning toward solarization at this point, or chickens, once we build
another chicken tractor for them, because recent manual removal increased its
presence three-fold in no time (One month), and I weeded it during a waning
moon.

it has been two or three months since the rye was growing in some of the
beds, and no there's still no bermuda in those spots, a heartening sign.

Thanks all!
Michelle in VA

SUSTAINABLE SCOTTSVILLE
Creating sustainable options right here at home:
www.sustainablescottsville.com

  • [permaculture] Crabgrass/bermuda conversation continuation, Michelle Maggiore, 06/23/2007