permaculture - Re: [permaculture] TheBigGarden-Insects-Honey Bee Die-off.us

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kenneth Benway" <ken@arcadiandesign.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: allherenow@yahoo.com
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] TheBigGarden-Insects-Honey Bee Die-off.us
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 23:28:19 -0400

Lawrence,

Before I start, I must make it clear that I am, at best a novice when it
comes to the fine art of honeybee keeping. None the less I am very
concerned about their health not only because they pollinate but because
the creator has manifested them as part of the whole.

Recently I saw an article, I can't remember exactly where but I've got
it archived somewhere, I just need to poke around to find it. Anyway it
was talking about a biodynamic honeybee keeper that had vibrant colonies
without disease.
Her husband had died in the recent past. In the article she was
discussing the size of the wax cell diameter on the manufactured bases
being to large, 5.2mm maybe? They are forced to grow larger and
facilitate them for commercial production. These larger size bees are
subject to immune deficiencies.
Over a period of years by reducing the size of the comb template
gradually, they where able to reduce the honeybee size to more closely
resemble their natural size. They have resilient immune systems and are
thriving well.

If anyone could begin channeling information on bee keeping as it
relates to the current crisis I would love to read it. In the mean time
I will try to find the biodynamic resource I mentioned and drop it in
this bucket (topic) when I find it.

Ken