permaculture - Re: [permaculture] filtering for topic preferences on this list.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] filtering for topic preferences on this list.
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:26:01 EDT

Ken writes:

"My question is; does anyone have a favorite blog site that breaks down
into topical areas? By that I mean one that has the global power of
participation that we observe on this list, but more importantly one
that allows someone to enter a specific topic area and converse with
individuals that are truly interested in that topic."

The very best such format I've seen actually occurs at a site whose views I
mostly find sort of reprehensible, www.tcsdaily.com. The place is a den of
Friedmanesque economics, libertarian politics and an uncomfortable amount of
paid
infomercials for the corporate powers. Much time is spent in convincing us of
the virtues of free enterprise, GM crops, the pharmaceutical industry and the
fact that global warming is a hoax perpetrated by evil Greenies.

So don't go there for the politics. But look at the way the discussion lists
for each article are grouped. They take a tree format, where responses are
grouped by thread and you can readily distinguish different conversations.

Another nifty feature is that you get an emailed notice whenever someone
responds to a comment you've posted. Whoever put their site package together
is
well ahead of everyone else in both the blog crowd and the list crowd. IMO.

Check out this sample thread:

http://www.tcsdaily.com/discussionForum.aspx?fldIdTopic=9212&fldIdMsg=72411

Michael