permaculture - [permaculture] The Fed: and why permaculture isn't mainstream

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kathy Evans" <evansdk@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] The Fed: and why permaculture isn't mainstream
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 16:08:57 -0500

Well, I think it has at least something to do with how lazy people are, and
there's the irony. Maybe once permaculture designs are in place, the
labor-to-food-production ratio goes down, but getting into takes a lot of
study, awareness, and understanding, things many of us are short on,
especially the younger generation who grew up on the 2-second sound bites of
Sesame Street. I found myself wanting pc sound bites, as in when a month or
so ago I asked what are some babysteps I could take to get closer to a
permaculture practice. Didn't get too many replies, and I realized that
permaculture just doesn't lend itself to "bites" since wholeness is perhaps
what it's all about.
But dang it, I go out to my garden and do what I have always done...plant
seeds from the feed store in rows or hills and mulch the heck out of it. My
tiny pc experiment last year, planting three sisters, resluted in the
chipmunks climbing sister number two (pole beans) to eat sister number three
(popcorn).
I DO want to learn all this someday, but it is daunting. I believe that
the wholeness of PC is essential, since decades and centuries of reductionism
have gotten us to our current sorry state of affairs. But it takes a new
whole way of seeing, and that does not appeal to the masses. Often when
someone finds out I meditate, they say, "Oh I could never do that, my mind
races." I say "Well, you can't pick up a violin and play it the first time,
either." It takes years, lessons, trial and error, opening your heart, and
lots of squawking before you get to sweet music. Many people start meditating
and give up, and maybe that's what happens with permaculture. But now more
people meditate than ever before and more people practice PC than ever before
so inch by inch, stone by stone. Kathy

Kathy Evans
evansdk@earthlink.net

  • [permaculture] The Fed: and why permaculture isn't mainstream, Kathy Evans, 05/18/2007