permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Geese as guards? Imprinting?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marjory Glowka" <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Geese as guards? Imprinting?
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 03:20:22 -0000

Hello,

I keep a flock of geese in my orchard to mow the grass. I raised them from hatchlings with some guienna chicks which the geese have accepted as part of thier flock. It seems to me anything they are riased with, they are OK about.

The geese spar with the roosters every now and then, but there is a lot of room and it is infrequent. The geese are very territorial, and make a huge deal whenever anyone new comes into the orchard. They are not good at protecting livestock from predators, and in my experience, not really that good at alerting others of danger, although it seems they should.

Some of the bigger ganders did attack my smallest child (5 years old) and were generally quite rough (biting, chasing, loud honking) with my daughter and everyone, including me. I ate those guys and the reminder of the flock has been quite social ever since. And, thier sense of play and interaction, is a lot rougher than most people care for.

They are quite intelligent.

I am still learning.

Good luck,

Marjory