permaculture - [permaculture] Diane Rehm

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kathy Evans" <evansdk@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Diane Rehm
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 22:51:29 -0500

Diane Rehm has spasmodic dysphonia, in which her vocal chords constrict
uncontrollably. It happens to people who use their voices a lot, such as
teachers, and may have other causes. My high school English teacher aunt is
on disability from it, starting around age 50. Diane Rehm has to get botox
injections every couple of months--the botox paralyzes the vocal chords.
After an injection, she can't speak at all for a couple of weeks, but after
that, her vocal chords are relaxed enough to allow speech. I have come to
love her, because she speaks slowly enough for me to ponder the conversation.
So her botox relaxes me too. She wrote a memoir, haven't read it, called
Finding My Voice.

Kathy Evans
evansdk@earthlink.net

  • [permaculture] Diane Rehm, Kathy Evans, 05/10/2007