permaculture - [permaculture] sluggo and slug control

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] sluggo and slug control
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:34:50 -0700 (PDT)

I'm used to having lots of space and growing stuff inland. And having
chickens.

Now, I live in Seattle trying to save up money to buy land. And, of course,
have a
garden. No ducks or chickens.

Earlier this year I planted a bunch of peas. They came up and then they
disappeared. I
planted potatoes - I think somebody is eating all the green bits ....

Slugs. Lots of them. Big suckers. Using the Ruth Stout system (lots of
hay) has
downsides in slug ville.

A housemate bought some "sluggo". I reasearched it a lot and I'm having a
hard time
coming up with anything that scares me. But I'm very skeptical.
groworganic.com sells
it. I like those guys. But they do sell some stuff I would rather not use.

"iron phosphate" is the magic ingredient (1%). The rest is supposedly
"inert", but I
suspect it is a slug's idea of ben and jerry's ice cream. Iron phosphate
sounds plenty
safe to me. A micro nutrient (iron) and the "big P" from the famous group
"NPK".

I wonder what earthworms think of it?

Microbials?

Anybody know of any big sirends of doom in using this stuff?