permaculture - [permaculture] shiitake question

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michelle Maggiore" <mmaggior@mindspring.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] shiitake question
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:38:34 -0400

Hello All,
I finally have a good batch of well-producing shiitake logs going, and I was
getting ready to innoculate a second bunch when a friend asked me whether
non-native mushroom spores can mess with the native mushroom population.
Since I generally consider mushrooms to be an entirely different set of
concerns (you can pick them in the National forests- its just recommended
that you use a mesh bag) I really have no idea. Does anyone have a good set
of guidelines regarding if and where I should keep a shiitake crop? I am in
Virginia, and appreciate any thoughts and suggestions on this matter. (I
had hoped to innoculate by this upcoming Sunday).
Many Thanks,
Michelle

  • [permaculture] shiitake question, Michelle Maggiore, 05/09/2007