permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Bees in the USA]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Bees in the USA]
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:26:05 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Bees in the USA
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 08:55:41 -0700
From: Matthew Shepherd (Xerces Society) <mdshepherd@XERCES.ORG>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Thanks to Carl for highlighting the work that Sam Droege and his colleagues have been doing. Their work is wonderful, but it is focused on surveying for and identifying bees. Two of the results of this are a standardized pan-trapping method for surveys and an ID key to bee genera of the eastern US. The key is accessible on the Discover Life website. Quite simply, it's phenomenal, an incredible resource for people east of the Rockies. (Being on the West Coast, I'm really jealous!) The Bug Guide site will also help ID bees, but does not have a key, so you have to have an idea of what to look for before you search.

Knowing what bees you have on your land is a great first step in understanding them and then deciding what to do. If you want more information on what to do to help native bees, please visit our web site, www.xerces.org. Under the pollinator conservation program, you'll find conservation guidelines for several types of land, including farms, parks and greenspaces, and golf courses, and info for gardeners. Most of the documents are available for free download as PDF files. The farm guidelines, "Farming for Bees," is just being revised, so if you return to our web site in about three weeks you'll find the 2nd edition available for free download.

And if you have any questions, I'll be happy to try to answer them.

Best wishes,
Matthew