permaculture - [permaculture] NPR this morning

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "roxann" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] NPR this morning
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:19:08 +0000

This morning I heard a reporter covering the lack of workers in Arizona for
lettuce harvesting. The jist of the story was that growers need to mechanize
harvesting and grow even larger fields of mono-culture, and THIS will solve
the immigrant worker problem in America. They said that small family farms
will fall by the wayside as this new form of agriculture takes hold. And I'm
in shock and wondering "whaaaat????" What happened to global warming and
local food? Wouldn't these big machines depend upon fossil fuel and wouldn't
even larger fields of monoculture be a bad thing???

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com

  • [permaculture] NPR this morning, roxann, 04/23/2007