permaculture - [permaculture] Caragana, chokecherry, dewberry, boysenberry, guilds?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michelle Maggiore" <mmaggior@mindspring.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Caragana, chokecherry, dewberry, boysenberry, guilds?
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:24:03 -0400

Has anyone had any experience with caragana or chokecherry in this area
(Eastern United States)? I am trying to determine if I should plant them as
hedges or use them as understory in relation to apple, crabapple, persimmon
and elders. Any ideas are most appreciated. Also, I am trying to find out
how far apart I should plant raspberry, blackberry, dewberry and boysenberry
from each other so that they can keep some of their distinct flavors,etc.,
and if anyone has included them in guilds with any of the above- mentioned
plants?
Many Thanks,
Michelle in Scottsville, VA