permaculture - [permaculture] uranium, g8 summit

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@yahoo.com.au>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, pil-pc-oceania@lists.permacultureinternational.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] uranium, g8 summit
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 09:42:35 +1100 (EST)

Sign this and spread it and the force will be with you.

http://www.avaaz. org/en/climate_ action_germany/ cf1.php

Also some one on this site? asked me where i got my info about uranium, i
said 60 years [ I was wrong it is 16 years, fossil fuelled power stations are
out carbon trading is a lie every atom of carbon released into the atmosphere
can stay there for up to 100 years] this is from a professor of nuclear
physics

Martin,

This is not an easy question to answer, and some parts of the answer are
quite contentious. At present usage rates the high grade ore bodies currently
being mined would last around 80 years. If nuclear power went from providing
16% of the world's electricity to 80%, then this reduces to 16 years. This
suggests that, if lower grade ores are not effectively available, nuclear
electricity has a limited future. It would also imply that expanding nuclear
power is counter-productive in terms of combating greenhouse gas emissions.

The availability of the lower grade ores is the contentious point, where
availability means, does it take more energy to extract uranium from an ore
body than we can deliver to users from its use in electricity production?
Those who believe that it is effective in this sense (for example, the
International Atomic Energy Agency) say at current usage levels there is
enough uranium to last 270 years, or 54 years at the 80% of electricity
level. Once this is exhausted some believe we can extract uranium from
seawater, and if this turns out to be true, then there is enough to last
thousands of years, as most of the worlds uranium is dissolved in seawater in
the oceans.

George.

Martin Naylor wrote:
Hi George i got your email address from the Wollongong greens, the
people below are unable or incapable of answering the following Q's and
suggested you may be able to assist me
Q's how long will present known reserves of A grade uranium [world wide]Â
last if it replaces all energy sources that it is capable of replacing, at
present usage rates and predicted usage rates
Martin
Hi Martin
I'm sorry to pass you on yet again but the best people to answer this are
at the Uranium Information Centre
www.uic.com.au
Alternatively you could do a web search.
Best regards
Martha
Martha Halliday
Education & Community Liaison
Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
PMB 1, Menai NSW 2234
T 02 9717 3934
F 02 9717 9274
E martha.halliday@ansto.gov.au
www.ansto.gov.au
Dear Martin,
Thank you for your enquiry to CSIRO regarding Uranium.
Regrettably we are unable to answer this query as it is not a specific area
of CSIRO research.Â
You may like to try contacting the Australian Nuclear Science and
Technology Organisation (ANSTO):
http://www.ansto.gov.au/
In June 2005 the Prime Minister announced the appointment of a Taskforce in
 to undertake an objective, scientific and comprehensive review of uranium
mining, processing and nuclear energy. The final report is available at the
following link:
http://www.dpmc.gov.au/umpner/reports.cfm
Contacts:
Email: umpner@pmc.gov.au
Postal address:
Uranium Mining, Processing and Nuclear Energy Review
c/- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
PO Box 6500
CANBERRAÂ Â ACTÂ Â 2600
Fax: (02) 6271 5540
Phone: (02) 6271 5210
I hope this assists with your enquiry. If you have any further enquiries
regarding CSIRO and its research capabilities, please contact us at
enquiries@csiro.au
Kind Regards,
James Davidson
Information Officer
CSIRO Enquiries
Private Bag 10
Clayton South  VIC  3169
Tel: 1300 363 400
Fax: +61 3 9545 2175
Email: enquiries@csiro.au

“There ain't no time to wonder why
Whoopee! We're all gonna die.”
('Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die' Rag, Country Joe and The Fish, 1967)

I have yet to meet a single person from our culture, no matter what his or
her educational background, IQ, and specific training, who had powerful
transpersonal experiences and continues to subscribe to the materialistic
monism of Western science.
- Albert Einstein

http://www.ucsusa.org/scientific_integrity/interference/a-to-z-guide-to-political.html
political interference in science

  • [permaculture] uranium, g8 summit, Martin Naylor, 03/14/2007