permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Humanity's Immune Response

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, berlinnr@hotmail.com
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Humanity's Immune Response
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:03:01 -0800

Hey Naomi,
Robyn Francis wrote to us about your science experiment -- some quick thoughts (not that I've ever done something like this before..)
Oxygen is neither created or destroyed, it just changes form. There will be a finite pool of O2 in the bottle. The task is to convert C02 to O2 and organic matter while limiting aerobic metabolism. The only available mechanism is photosynthesis. Simultaneously, metabolism will be taking O2 to break down carbon compounds... most of that metabolism would be happening in the soil. Since you can forcefeed nutrients to the system the whole 'healthy soil' thing is just a metabolic O2 drain for this system. (i.e. the microcosm creates advantages for strategies that are not sustainable in the real world -- the length of the test and what you can do to prime the system pretest will be critical.)

- temperature and light levels will have a strong effect on your microcosm performance -- you will need to match your system to
- if you can use electricity you could circulate air through a aquaculture system and get photosynthesis from algae and vascular plants. I wonder if you could imbed a little solar air circulator in there to circulate low oxygen gas layers around plant leaves - I bet insects could provide some air circulation service, but they'll be breathing oxygen too!
- if the light source is directional you'll want to reflect all light back into the bottle... particularly if light during the test is artificial and below saturation.
- for didactic purposes I would have your students construct a conceptual model of factors that will positively or negatively affect gasseous oxygen concentration. Keep an eye out for feedback loops.
- Under elevated temperatures, plants with a C4 photosynthetic metabolism have higher photosynthetic rates.
- I am leaning towards a mineral soil wetland system with LOTS OF LEAF AREA and a nutrient soup.
- anaerobic metabolism in sediments may minimize aerobic metabolism that produces CO2.. you may get negetive feedback loops with swamp gasses if the experiment runs too long without gas exchange.
- in the saturated sediments or hydroponic system you can remove nutrient and water supply limits to photosynthesis.
- the degree to which plants are well established and acclimated to environmental conditions at the beginning of the test will count for A LOT!! Transplant shock or changes in temperature or light level will really bog you down... you want the whole system buzzing along at full speed at the beginning of the test.
-fogging in the bottle may reduce light penetration

Paul Cereghino
Olympia, WA

wrote:

I just received this request, please send any creative ideas direct to Naomi
Thanks Robyn