permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Branson's $25M prize for fixing CO2

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Branson's $25M prize for fixing CO2
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:45:38 -0500

Cezar T wrote:

LONDON, Feb. 9 -- British billionaire entrepreneur
Richard Branson, with former vice president Al Gore at
his side, offered a $25 million prize Friday to anyone
who can come up with a way to blunt global climate
change by removing at least a billion tons of carbon
dioxide a year from the Earth's atmosphere.

(
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/09/AR2007020900693.html
)

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I think the winners are
easy to find - all cultivation methods designed to
restore fertility and carbon into soil deserve it.

Regards,
cezar

Welcome, Cezar.

In a year how many tons of cow, poultry, pig and human manure, tilled into
farm, prairie and forest soil
would represent storage of a billion tons of carbon dioxide?

In addition to CO2 emissions we would have to contend with global loss of cropland (to housing and commercial development), forests to burning and cutting and conversion of farmland devoted to sustainable diversified production to
monocropping for short term non-sustainable gains and the loss of access to good farmland by farming communities using sustainable traditional practices.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm