permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Priority One Buzz

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Priority One Buzz
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 10:34:27 -0600

G'day,

Priority One (P1) is a pretty big book, that for one reason or another
people have started to review and make sweeping statements about without
actually reading it. I have read it once and will probably have to read it a
few times, just like I have had to read "Permaculture: A Designers Manual"
etc. a few times as well for my small mind to absorb and get close to
understanding the plethora of information and claims therein. But at least I
have made that effort.

Dr Arden Anderson, who reviewed book (and therefore apparently read it
right?), made the comment that P1 is great when it comes to talking about
soils, carbon issues, keyline etc. but that Allan should "stick to what he
knows about", which as I said to Allan, is a bit rich coming from a
Physician who has himself crossed the disciplines & become a Soils/Agronomy
Consultant of some note. Anderson then wrote in an article (for the New
Zealand Organic Grower mag) titled "Priority One" in that the real "Priority
One" should be not simply soils but human nutrition, because by default this
is only available from biologically managed soils and the systems that feed
off this base. Allan as an aside is a lot of things himself: A Mechanical
Engineer (Yeomans Keyline Plow, Solar Thermal Energy Systems, and most
notably the inventor of the Banana Lounge!), Nuclear Physicist (post grad U.
of Sydney), Meteorologist for the Australian Gliding Association....So a lot
like many of us in PC - we are a new brand of Artist Philosopher Scientists
who develop and manage systems

Arden Anderson is actually a well known soils/agronomy consultant who crossed the disciplines and became a physician, and he did so to work on the system from the inside rather than the outside. He firmly believes that the health of soils and what we eat dictates our health, and since the AMA didn't see it that way, Arden became a physician to influence from that side of the fence. He is intelligent, articulate and dedicated. I took a course from him years ago, his last before going to medical school. Very informative.

Lisa, in the Mo Ozarks, USA