permaculture - Re: [permaculture] chicken talk

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: KNat <knat@sprintmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] chicken talk
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 07:50:51 -0600

John S Gamble wrote:
See: Science News Online
Week of Nov. 18, 2006; Vol. 170, No. 21

Chicken Speak: Birds pass test for fancy communication
Susan Milius

..and Feb. 22, Biology Letters

Shows chickens have different sounds ("words") for individual objects.

Imagining our design world including a place where this study is given resources to exist....
Here, a slower world, with chickens as participants, allows interaction but "conclusions" would be, at best, anecdotal. It takes little time for them to be as individual as the hawks or jays (which share mind clearly, and make one feel silly looking them up in a book by their plumage.) Some chickens (I don't have human names now but can think of specific individuals) walk with me when I work, some only when I wander. Some chose to be with me others choose not to. A study area based on confinement and dependence would be limited. What portion of group resources would I allot to this researcher? What portion would the chickens allot?

My child friends have been doing a quiet project writing a nature book of human identification. The religion thread sounds like some adults are too. We can't understand details enough by color patterns so we look to sounds, then someone points out we should do more behavior studies. What page in the guide would you be comfortable being predefined for another?
(I've been fascinated with the choices of "representative voices" by CNN recap of the march on Washington last weekend. Jane Fonda and a croaky older male voice speaking of past times. There were more 20s than in a generation and over half the crowd were military and their families. Let's not get too caught up in quickly written guides for human types they tend to use summaries and not go to original sources.)

A different kind of guide would be fun and much more useful to me. A nature guide based on passions. Doesn't matter whether one is 2, 4 or no legged. What matters would be digs in dirt, or moves fast wherever it goes. That would help in planning space needs. Orthodox Religion is very useful in discussing needs for isolative meditation, special dietary convictions, and committed desire to only be directly in contact with others of similar ideals but, ultimately, we live with/as individuals.

Peace,
Kathyann