permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture science or spirituality?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: George Monacelli <bungo_bean@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture science or spirituality?
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 23:07:59 -0800 (PST)

Is Permaculture science or spirituality? Thought now split, science and
spirituality were once one and the same. We observed the natural world and
survived by adaptation to its governing laws. Its lessons and practical
knowledge were passed down through stories and images so that they would
become second nature to us. Its unfortunate that the practical knowledge
behind the stories and images is mostly lost to us now, as we now view the
trappings and accoutrements as ends unto themselves.

I think it fitting that the interdisciplinary nature of Permaculture spans
the gap between science and spirituality. It is neither and both as (I think)
it should be. I discovered Permaculture through an ostensibly “New Age”
community in Eastern Washington in the 1980’s. I got to know Simon Henderson
who was a part of that community at the time, and am very glad for it (bless
his wild and restless soul!). Despite the trappings and accoutrements of New
Age and interpreted-for-white-people Native American spirituality, it has
been the tenets of Permaculture that have stayed with me over the years…

We live in a closed system and have (the last couple thousand years
notwithstanding) survived through cooperation with all our relations great
and small. All have their own place and value, and only ignorance judges
other by its own criterion. We come to terms with our own mortality, and if
we are exceptionally lucky, someone or something will be helped by our deeds
and remember us favorably.

I believe that for us small individuals there is no single defining event.
Peak Oil, Earth Changes, and Apocalypse all occur one day at a time. Each day
we work to create the future. I believe that those on this list who are
considering this topic are probably on the right track and that despite
interpersonal differences, we have to remember that we are all working
towards the same end… survival. Is that spiritual or scientific?

Need Mail bonding?