permaculture - Re: [permaculture] resource request (dogs and other topics)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Myron Mykyta <myronmykyta@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] resource request (dogs and other topics)
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:01:20 -0800 (PST)

I have a colleague with several acquaintances who spends regular time in
China and Tibet. She's mentioned that the Mastiff's increasingly become
senile as they age, particularly because of the altitude/oxygen levels.

-Myron

Wendy Smyer Yu <creeksinger@hotmail.com> wrote:
I'd be interested to know the names of some of the dog-training resources
that came up in last month's discussion on working dogs. I like the idea of
well-trained, useful dogs, but have no experience training them. With my
family's seeming trajectory to Amdo (eastern Tibet) I could imagine coming
across the local varieties of dogs (Tibetan mastiff mixes) who could be
worked beyond what they currently do (chained all day as they're known to be
quite savage but then unchained at night to patrol for wolves and
thieves)...

I'm also wondering how to go about learning about an ecosystem/region with
which I'm completely unfamiliar (eastern Himalayas, Yellow River area,
upstream from Lanzhou). I don't know that we'll be moving there any time
soon, but it could enter the picture within the next two years. Being a
Californian who figured she'd stay at least local to the Pacific NorthWest,
it's daunting to realize I'm going to have to learn everything from
scratch...

Any words of encouragement for someone who has no access to land in the U.S.
on which to at least practice and who may be picking up her skirts for a
move to southeastern China and then maybe ultimately on to the west (eastern
Tibet)?

Wendy

Myron Mykyta

"Go placidly amidst the noise and haste..."
-Max Ehrmann