permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Looking for pedalpower resources - any bicycle experts in the list?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Eric Kemp <erickemp01@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Looking for pedalpower resources - any bicycle experts in the list?
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 14:37:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi....I live in the Chapel Hill area.....and I was wondering if you knew
about the recyclery......it is in Carrboro and they salvage bikes and
distribute them through town for people to use.....they call it the blue bike
program....they also have a build a bike program for kids......the point
is...they have a ton of parts and bikes that they wont ever use ....the guy
who runs the place is nice and i dont know if he is exactly into permaculture
but I would bet he would be into your project.......www.recyclery.info they
are there on sunday afternoons 12- 5....I would also be willing to volunteer
some time to it myself ,if you are into that, as I have wondered about this
type of thing ....if farm equipment could be pedal powered?????

"Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net> wrote:

I need to construct a 4 wheeled device I can ride on, steer and pedal with an
18 speed (maybe less)
gear train. I will mount adjustable-height static tillage tooling below the
frame and drive this along
raised garden beds to scarify the soil and loosed existing weeds, prior to
winter planting of spinach and a number of
other crops. It will be too wet to get a tractor in the gardens until late
Spring and I need to plant throughout January
and February. All parts of the frame, except the tillage tool, will have to
be at or above the height of the wheel
axles. The 4 wheel bikes I have seen on the web are expensive and their
frames are too low to the ground.

Any ideas or pointers to resources will be much appreciated, especially from
anyone who has done any bicycle
modifications or built human powered devices from recycled bike parts and
components.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.