permaculture - Re: [permaculture] off-topic : SSL certification / phishing filter

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Howe" <warlock@arashi.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] off-topic : SSL certification / phishing filter
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:58:47 -0800 (PST)

Simply put, a SSL ( Secure Socket Layer ) certificate enables your web
server to handle encrypted traffic ( https://www.permacultureactivist.net/
vs. http://www.permacultureactivist.net/ ). This is setup via your ISP.
Currently, trying to access https://www.permacultureactivist.net/ fails.

I assume you are hosted through adaptive.net currently, since nupremis.com
seems like a dead domain now ( from the whois lookup ).

I did check your site with IE7, though I didn't see it flagged as being a
Phishing site. You might consider submitting your site to a XSS (
Cross-site scripting ) exploit scanner.

See also: http://www.acunetix.com/security-audit/index.htm

> This is off-topic and I would be happy to continue the conversation
off-list. There seems to be a good number of geekish permies on the list
so, I'd appreciate your guidance.

> I don't know what most of this means. How do I get SSL certification?
(I'll Google this, too, for more info.) Is this something you all have
on your websites? Is this Microsoft-based extortion?

> I recently added Google web search and Adsense to the site as well as
some Clickbank links (trying to generate a little extra income). Would
this increase the risk of being identified as a potential threat?

> Thanks,
> Keith
>
> --
> Keith Johnson
> "Be fruitful and mulch apply."
> Permaculture Activist Magazine
> PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47408
> (812) 335-0383
> http://www.permacultureactivist.net
> also Patterns for Abundance Design & Consulting
> also Association for Regenerative Culture
> also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy)
It's a small world after oil.