permaculture - [permaculture] "Ism's" "Power" and sustainable, traditional ways

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: kevin s <k.skvorak@verizon.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] "Ism's" "Power" and sustainable, traditional ways
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:55:13 -0500

apologies,

in emails, brevity and coherence are a real challenge. you can only include so much.

i appreciate people's reactions whenever an argument containing ism's is started, and i share those feelings. "good little capitalists" is NOT meant to demean any individual (unless they themselves strongly identify with such a label) it was meant as a systems critique.

i agree with the fact that evo morales in bolivia identifies not as leftist govt but as an indigenous govt. it is instructive of a long history of failure on the "Left" in regards to indigenous people.

i guess for me it is the question and meaning of "resistance" more than anything else that is on my mind.

permaculture is a positive solution. we are all here i imagine because of that.

but- i am stuck with the feeling that it is not enough. resistance, and solidarity with resistance to global Capitalism must be equally part of that solution, or else we are all just implicated in some way as part of the problem.

i sometimes fear the permaculture movement going the way of becoming primarily another "green" lifestyle movement for priviledged people in the North to escape to their own beautiful hand built ghettos in the woods.

POWER is something that at least those that identify with ism's understand, and something we don't talk about much in permaculture. Political power, it seems to me must be as much a part of the calculation for sustainability as any other source of energy

i for one will never trust -anyone- who suggest we must "forget" the politics. this is simply absurd, or worse. the politics is what is killing us all

btw- i am listening to Vandana Shiva right now on Democracy Now debating very powerfully (and critically) with a member of Grameen bank. i highly, highly recommend listening to her if you wish to inform yourself on this, and the Indian context in which it is placed

http://www.democracynow.org/

peace,
kevin

re:
" What's wrong with being a capitalist? Calling someone a "good little capitalist" is insulting and demeaning. Teach them permaculture, farming and alternative energy and architecture and forget the stinking politics.
I expect these people already know more about communalism, sharing and cooperation than 49000 roiling, fevered "leftists". They have been living that way for centuries and using a common land ownership system."

  • [permaculture] "Ism's" "Power" and sustainable, traditional ways, kevin s, 12/13/2006