permaculture - [permaculture] Edible Ornamentals

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gaian Life" <eco@gaianlife.co.uk>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Edible Ornamentals
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:59:57 +0000

Hi all, first a quick apology for having my email autoresponder on for a few

days, Its off now.

My query is regarding the new spate of ornamental plants which are
related to vegetables.
For example ornamental peppers (Capsicum salsa & Capsicum carnival),
ornamental miniature oranges/lemons and the ornamental cabbages etc (such as

the Kamone Red ornamental Kale).
A feature that interests me about these plants particularly the peppers is
the prolific fruiting rate for a plant in such a small pot. However they
come with stickers saying they may be harmful if eaten!
Is this just a standard safety sticker to cover the manufacturer against
someone stuffing a load into their mouths or are these plants genuinley NOT
edible? I have tried looking it up but after wading through masses of info
on how to make pepper salsa, I am still no closer to finding info on the
actual SPECIES Capsicum salsa. Part of this problem apparently is that with
ornamental varieties, manufacturers break with scientific naming convention
and can basically call the plants whatever they want!
Any info gratefully recieved!
Thanks,
Helen