permaculture - [permaculture] Villa El Salvador, Peru. Major permaculture project

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Murphy" <michael@ctsl.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Villa El Salvador, Peru. Major permaculture project
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:59:57 -0600

Villa El Salvador, Peru, is a very poor town of 400,000 people that has
to import all their food. There's basically no rain there, it's built
on sand dunes more or less, and they use re-cycled water for making
green areas, but there's not enough water to grow food, which is what
they want to do.
A friend of mine is working with the mayor to investigate how
permaculture could help. I've referred them to Mollison's books,
pointing out that PC developed for low-rain areas. I've also suggested
Oxfam for low-cost solar desalinization designs and the Israeli embassy
for information transfer on making deserts bloom.
Does anyone else have references or people that would help in this
situation? All responses welcomed!