permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture in coastal environments?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture in coastal environments?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 20:00:19 -0700

Guilherme,

Please look into the Mangrove Action Project. Don't know if they have attended a PDC but they have a robust network. I have been very impressed with the work of Yadfon in SW Thailand who have been working in mangrove/fisherfolk communities the face of charcol harvest, shrimp farming, and tourist development.

http://www.earthisland.org/map/sstal.htm

Paul Cereghino
Olympia, Washington, USA

Guilherme Neves Castagna wrote:

Dear Permaculture friends,

I'm starting to work with traditional indigenous and fishermen
communities
in down sth Rio de Janeiro, near the Sao Paulo border (where the IPC8-Brazil
will take place next year) and am trying to devise solutions for the
mangrove/coastal/marine environment out there.

The place is a nursery for the marine wildlife and is abundant with
endemic
species from both land and marine environments. Its indigenous name
"Mamanguá" translates as "place where food is abundant", that can sort of
help to visualise the place... We are battling against time since the whole
area is under threat from new estate developments, especially bays for
powerboats from the affluent ppl from Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. The
sooner we act, creating empowering solutions for these communities, the
better!

Anyway, I have been searching for permaculture experiences on this
environment but haven't found none until now, and wonder if anyone in this
list can give me any references on where to look for, or know of any such
documented projects out there. All well intentioned help is very much
appreciated.

All the best, com um forte abraco, cheers!

Guilherme Castagna
Ajissé - Soluções Naturais!
+55 (12) 3845-3613
Ubatuba/SP